1. Confidentiality - This is a key aspect of the therapy relationship. Everything discussed in the counselling sessions is kept in the strictest confidence. As a member of the ACC, I abide by their ethics and I am bound within its Code of Ethics and Good Practice. (www.acc-uk.org) Some themes, but not specifics, are discussed with my supervisor to make sure that I am on track and supporting you well. . Should we bump into each other outside of the therapy room - I won't acknowledge you - however you are free to acknowledge me, as you choose. I do not accept social media requests, however you are free to stay connected on my business Facebook account. There is CCTV in operation for your safety in the entrance foyer of the building.
2. Confidentiality would be broken if you talk about money laundering, or suspected terrorism. This is the law. If you talk about serious harm to yourself or others, moral implications would be discussed in session, with potential action taken. There is not a prescribed plan in these situations - but individualised.
3. Session notes are kept for my memory and reflection – stored securely on a cloud platform (Halaxy). You can look at these at anytime during our sessions. You will also receive appointment reminders the day prior from this (Halaxy) system, unless you opt out by letting me know. I try hard to schedule appointments to your preferences. I can't guarantee the same time/day each week, however if this suits you best, please let me know and I will mostly make that work
4. Sometimes you may feel that counselling is not helping. In these circumstances it is best to discuss the difficulties rather than abruptly end counselling. You are always in charge of the decision to continue or stop counselling and will not be under any pressure to continue at any point. After 30 minutes of session one, if you feel coming to see me was a bad idea and you wish to leave, you can get up and leave with dignity and I will refund your full session cost within 24 hours.
5. Sometimes experiments are encouraged between sessions. I will try to create an environment for you to express your thoughts and feelings in a place that is safe, genuine, truthful and peaceful. If I ask you a question, I would rather you say "I don't wish to answer that today", than to give a generic reply. Building trust will increase the likelihood of a good outcome.
6. Between session communication should be for session/booking time clarifications only, and at the most, a 4-5 minute messenger clarification or question regarding anything that we discussed previously. Lengthier therapeutic discussion should wait for the booked session. Sometimes, with your agreement, I may send you a web link or meme that was relevant to our session.
7. Online & telephone sessions: When meeting electronically, either by telephone or zoom, please be in a suitable private place where you are not inhibited by others. Sessions are not to be recorded without prior permission by both of us. Should the call drop out, I will attempt to reconnect immediately. Should there be issues connecting, like no sound or picture, I will communicate by email for plan B. For telephone, I will call you.
8. Sessions are 55 minutes in duration.(Unless you negotiate otherwise with an adjusted fee) Just one session can be beneficial - however more progress can happen as trust & confidence increases over more sessions. Payment is required in advance. Session fees are not refundable if you cancel or no-show on the day of your session. If you arrive late, the finish time will still be the same as booked. Sessions will not take place if you are under the influence of alcohol or substances.
Your name and contact details will be shared with my Therapeutic Executor, accessed by a special code, which electronically releases the name of anyone currently receiving therapy from myself, with their contact details, should the need arise to advise you of my death or incapacitation.
I will hold onto your electronic information for seven years past the end of our working together. This is so that I have a reference of our work should you return, and to comply with my indemnity insurer. If you are under 18, your electronic data is held until you are 25.
---End of GDPR document for counselling with Andrew Gaskill (Data Controller) Edinburgh---
Click here to acknowledge your understanding of this document.
Andrew may, during therapy, if relevant to you, ask you to complete this test/survey about yourself, to find your personality type according to the psychology of Jung & Myers Briggs. If you feel comfortable, please email the outcome to Andrew in advance of the next session.